Did you know that one in every ten vehicles on the road is uninsured?  When purchasing auto insurance, there are several coverage’s that help protect you against an uninsured driver if they were to get into an at fault accident.  Liability insurance is on all auto policies, and with the liability comes Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist Liability coverage that us up to a certain limit.  In the event of an uninsured/under-insured at fault accident, that liability insurance could come into effect if the other driver does not have the appropriate insurance to help cover the claim.  There is another uninsured/under-insured motorist insurance coverage that can be added to some auto policies to protect the vehicle.

Uninsured Motorist Property Damage is a coverage that can be added to the auto policy, only in conjunction with the comprehensive and collision coverage’s, that will give you coverage if someone without insurance damages your vehicle and it is their fault.  This coverage can be purchased with a $0 deductible; and is relatively inexpensive for the coverage that it provides.  Not all companies offer Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage, and if they do not, the claim would be considered a comprehensive claim.  Talk to your agent about the specifics of your policy and how an uninsured motorist claim would be handled by your company.

One main advantage of the Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage is that it is a “not-at-fault” claim, and thus will not surcharge your insurance premium, as the coverage is only used in not-at-fault accidents.  This is a relatively inexpensive way to protect your vehicle against a claim that is not your fault.  Talk to your independent insurance agent about if you have this coverage and how it applies to your policy.